Welcome to the Digital South Action Group
So why the need for Digital South?
A knowledge based economy relies on information which will more often than not be the result of some type of digital interaction, be it a website, your smartphone, a podcast or a connected sensor sending data to the cloud. Therefore, for Digital South the aim is to make the south the best place to live work & play but from a Digital viewpoint. The Digital South focus for 2016 is Skills (training and retention) as well as improving our local digital infrastructure as these have been highlighted as brakes on the regions digital growth.
Digital South covers any business that is or uses ‘digital stuff' in the Business South region. These digital business’ are diverse and cover every sector from hardware and embedded systems through to gaming, system integrators, data scientists and digital agencies!
Digital is pervasive and touches every aspect of our lives. Digital is found to varying degrees in other sectors too:
The digital economy is growing and is integral to the regions future success.
Join us at Business South Cyber Security Conference at St Marys stadium on Thursday 2nd March 2017
Digital South has two main campaigns and two longer term points of view being investigated which are:
- Skills retention and training
- Digital Infrastructure - including connectivity in our cities and rural communities - ultra fast broadband as well as connectivity on our key transport corridors (roads & rail).
- Point of View: Supporting the shift to a circular/sharing economy - as this will be underpinned by data & digital technology
- Point of View: Exploring the costs & benefits of a local Crypto Currency - GalaSX - from a citizens, business and government perspective.
Skills, Skills, Skills
The focus in 2016 is on Innovation and Skills. It is essential that the region skills up to take advantage of the digital economy across all its business.Technology can help companies improve service, increase efficiency, de-risk and become better business. Digital services can help companies disrupt traditional markets (take Uber or AirBnB as examples) or it can help your business survive and thrive.
The skills agenda has also been in the spotlight by the BCS - the Chartered Institute for IT (See documents section below for more detail)
- DIGITAL SKILLS AND THE FUTURE OF THE WORKPLACE
- IT IN HEALTH AND SOCIAL CARE
- IDENTITY MANAGEMENT FOR CITIZEN INTERACTION WITH THE DIGITAL ECONOMY
- ONLINE GOVERNMENT SERVICES AND CITIZEN INTERACTION
- COMMUNICATIONS AND INFRASTRUCTURE
Digital South will be supporting the Business South HR Forum which is working with a number of regional stakeholders: Universities, Colleges, Local Authorities, Business and training organisations to improve the regions skills balance in favour of technology, advanced manufacturing, engineering (i.e. STEM) as the region needs 1/2 million new engineers in the next decade.
- Solent Growth Hub - one stop shop for public sector funding in the Solent region
- EM3 Growth Hub - one stop shop for EM3 LEP based business’.
- Think. Create. Do - led by wise old uncle the award winning Matt Desmier.
- Silicon South - A Dorset focus for digital activity in that county.
- Digital Hampshire - hosted by The Media Flow - regular gatherings of Hampshires digital community
- Wired Sussex - Sussex region digital team - also run the Brighton Digital Catapult.
- Digital Catapult - brings innovators, academics and business together.
- Creative Network South - Arts, Digital, Media, Makers, Entertainment - a creative network of networks for the South of England
- Cib.as - Portsmouth Creative Network
- Southampton Creatives - We are a regular monthly meetup for any and all creatives in Southampton and the surrounding areas.
- Business Collective - The Business Collective is a network of organisations pooling and exchanging their resources with the aim of helping to build their local economic and social wellbeing
- Culture Hampshire - one stop shop to find creatives and cultural activities in Hampshire
- _Connect - Technology Strategy Board - for news on funding grants, competitions. Access to professional networks
- GalaSX - Solent Regions own CryptoCurrency & Blockchain technology
Additonally, there are many local specialists Meet Ups on IoT, Big Data, Making Stuff, Testing and coding. Get in touch if you are struggling to find your interest group.
Download the latest Digital South reports and documents from the Library